Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bathing in Muffins



"We don't bathe in muffins guys!"

Those words actually came out of my mouth the other night.  And yet there they were, swimming in a small sea of waterlogged muffins.

The thing about bathing in muffins, is that you can't really appreciate it at the time.  At the time it is exhausting, almost infuriating.  How did they make it past me to accomplish that?  Why am I not "enough" to stay on top of this and am I "enough" to clean this new mess up on top of all my other tasks? It's frustrating in the same way that, a few years prior, you'd have been frustrated having your printer break the night before an important essay is due. Only it's like that all the time.  There are days you just cry- and no matter what your intentions, sometimes you can't help but loose it a little and do so in what ever setting the urge overwhelms you.  And then your oldest reminds "You 28.  Let's think about it.  You not a baby" - and you just want to laugh and cry more.

You never realize it will "be like this" when you go into parenthood.  My momma never said there'd be days like this.  Really, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here, our culture really doesn't give us the heads up on parenting it once did.  When you think about a time where there was no power and people's socializing revolved mostly around their family units, you can see how the fast paced world of today makes it hard to end up with full disclosure before parenting.  And while that's really another post all together, I must mention that I'm not sure when, if ever, the shock and awe of raising young children will wear off.

The first rule of parenting is: You have a choice.  I think really that's the first rule in life too but to remember that I have choices on a daily basis is sometimes the only thing that keeps me going.  When I was younger, I struggled greatly with choices.  I'm still very indecisive.  But I'm learning more and more how empowering choices can be. I can choose how I react to any situation.  Sometimes I'm gonna chose to be grumpy.  And that's okay too!  But the very first thing I want remind myself in any overwhelming moment is to be aware that I'm making a choice.  And to the muffins, and any other crazy making moment in motherhood- I choose to be grateful.  I'm grateful it was muffins and not some other less desirable substance waterlogged in the tub.  I'm grateful my kids love each other enough to conspire together- how ever developmentally simple that conspiracy is.  I'm grateful that even though I might make a choice to be grumpy in one moment, I can chose to laugh and appreciate it later.  So here's to muffins and the other beautiful frustrations of parenting that stretch and empower us to be more than we ever realized we were capable of !

No comments:

Post a Comment